is in COMPLETE control)
Also known as Adsense
Linkshare, Share-a-sale, etc.
1. ALL Risk is shifted to the
2. Pay only for performance
3. Receives exposure even without clicks
4. Some look at it as "Free CPM ads"
5. NOT required to specify action and payment -??
6. No problem in "forgetting" to report action (decide
EXACTLY how much you are going to pay (report), in spite of
actual publisher performance data)
1. Highest cost, but worth it due to
2. Greater interaction hassle
3. Must reveal sensitive information
4. High fraud - phony actions, fake form filling
5. PPS has the lowest conversion rate
For the Publisher:
1. Another publisher option
The publisher selects the ads
(100% approved preferred - no
3. Potentially HIGHEST payout, but there are too many
One forum comment stated that I was rather harsh on PPA ads,
regarding Publisher Disadvantages in the right hand column.
What do YOU think? Maybe?
They are all just questions, really. Look at them that way.
Then YOU answer - legitimate or illegitimate? - actual or
perceived? - problem or not a problem?
I try to resolve these issues by reading the posts of the
longtime, well-respected, tell-it-like-it-is gurus on the
most popular webmaster forum - Webmaster World. If you spend
a lot of time at it, you can figure out who knows what they
are talking about. I can try a million things, or I can read
forums, and get the results much faster. I am sometimes
biased (I try not to be), and I make mistakes (which I
correct when I am informed).
The opinions stated on this webpage are entirely those of
the author. Although Google is used as one example among
others, one should not assume that any given comment refers
to Adsense, unless specifically stated.
For the Publisher:
1. HIGH risk - ALL risk is
shifted to the publisher
Free Branding on
2. Clicks pay NOTHING
3. Free branding even if no action is completed
4. Some advertisers PURPOSELY create ads that are designed
NOT to convert, but to provide FREE branding.
5. Some advertisers do NOT EVEN specify ANY action or
payment - NEVER serve ads from these advertisers - Are you
crazy? (I was - the fit was perfect, but there was no payoff
- BY DEFINITION!).
6. Some advertisers bypass the system by placing a HUGE 800
number at the top of the page - bye-bye commissions - free
advertising. If they call instead of click, you get
7. Well-documented cookie hijacking
problem - Scumware
8. Set one cookie, buy from another computer - no pay
9. Cookie expiration and/ or deletion - no pay
10. Cancellations and chargebacks - no pay - legitimate?
11. No protection from outright advertiser fraud - blind
faith is required - good luck! They might pay you, if they
feel like it.
12. Adsense currently will display
the PPA ads you pick, plus many others that you do NOT
select, thereby defeating the entire concept of publisher ad
selection, which I feel is integral to the PPA concept. Lack
of publisher control = inability to optimize.
13. Not only do you have to worry about CTR, you must also
worry about conversion rate - it is a two-step sell before
you get the cigar.
14. Opportunity cost - while you are trying PPA (and waiting
weeks), you are giving up prime real estate which could be
running far more predictable (and profitable) PPC ads, which
pay right now.